Breast augmentation currently ranks as one of the most popular, if not the most popular, cosmetic surgery procedures in the U.S. Today, hundreds of thousands of women around the world want to enhance and reshape their breasts by undergoing breast augmentation by using implants or fat transfer. Though the surgery itself has been around for 50 years, its seen changes and improvements over the decades to provide the best looking results.
It is a straightforward procedure but like any popular cosmetic treatment, there are a lot of facts that might surprise people. Here are 9 interesting facts about breast augmentation that you may not know. (It is always recommended that when considering breast augmentation, you first consult your board-certified plastic surgeon for a consult.)
1. Breast augmentation has an extremely high satisfaction rate.
Several studies show that after undergoing breast augmentation, more than 90 percent of women are pleased with their decision to get implants and would highly recommend it to others who want an improvement to their breasts.
2. You are able to make decisions about implant placement.
During the consultation, the surgeon and patient will walk through the steps of the procedure and communicate where the implants should go. This helps the patient understand the procedure and make a decision about implant placement: under the muscle (more natural look, less chance of visible rippling) vs. over the muscle (shorter recovery time, lesser chance of distortion).
3. Sometimes the size of the implant options is limited.
Although patients have a say in their procedure process, it is possible for women to be limited to a certain size implant. This decision is made by the surgeon after examining the breasts. Factors that have an impact on the highest level of cc’s (new breast size) are the size of the ribcage as well as the thickness of the skin.
4. Implants can be kept in the body indefinitely.
There is no time limit with regard to how long implants can be in the breasts, with the exception of more surgeries to update the implants. With regular examinations and no problems, breast implants can survive in a body for an average of 20 years.
5. You have the choice of two implant types.
Both types of implants have the same end result in the body, but silicone implants are more viscous than saline implants. Silicone implants are a thick, gel-like substance that is often described as a “gummy bear candy.” Meanwhile, saline implants have a water consistency that appears more similar to breast tissue. Both implants have been approved by the FDA to be safe for women over the age of 22. (Patients need to wait until the age of 22, but it is advised that younger patients under 22 choose saline implants.)
6. Mothers can still breastfeed.
This fact may surprise some, but new mothers with implants are still able to breastfeed their newborns. Depending on certain factors, some women are unable to breastfeed, however, most women are successful. With that being said, the implants themselves do not cause any harm to the infant or the mother.
7. A breast implant doesn’t stop the breast’s natural changes.
As we age, our skin loses elasticity and diminishes. If women choose breast augmentation at a younger age, it’s important to note that it does not stop the potential growth of the natural breasts. For patients who become pregnant after augmentation, breast size can still increase as a result of pregnancy.
8. Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery in the U.S.
According to the ASPS, in 2017, the US had 300,378 breast augmentation performed with a 3 percent increase from 2016. These women who chose breast augmentation wanted to increase the breast size, reshape the roundness of the breast, or make the breasts more symmetrical. Surgeons will use either breast implants or a fat transfer to perform the procedure.
9. Breast augmentation is an easy recovery.
Breast augmentation is known to have a very straightforward and easy recovery period. Most women who undergo breast augmentation say it is easier than recovering from wisdom teeth removal. Some women experience a painless recovery while others can feel little (but manageable) pain or discomfort. If this were to happen, the doctor prescribes medication to decrease the pain. The biggest struggle for patients is to lessen the amount of physical activity immediately following surgery.
- Breast augmentation: This is the name of the procedure process where the surgeon enhances the breasts by using breast implants or in some cases, fat transfer.
- Breast implant: The medical device used to create the enhancement that is placed inside the breast during breast augmentation. The implants can be made of silicone or saline.
- Breast lift: This is another procedure that is not included in the breast augmentation that surgeons will perform if necessary. It is performed if the patient wants the breasts lifted to the normal position on the body.