How to Prevent Bruising from Injectable Fillers
Injectable fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, and Radiesse can work wonders on your appearance—but for many patients, that means first having to get through a period of bruising and swelling following treatment. There are ways to prevent (or, at the very least, minimize) bruising after getting these fillers, however, and I’m going to tell you how!
There are some things that you might not associate with bruising, but which you should absolutely avoid in the weeks leading up to treatment. If you’re planning to get an injectable filler, keep this advice in mind:
1. No aspirin or other NSAIDs for two weeks prior to treatment. NSAIDs (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs), including aspirin and ibuprofen, thin your blood and reduce its ability to clot. This increases your chances of bruising.
2. No wine (especially red) for 10 days prior to treatment. Wine especially antioxidant-rich red wine—lowers your platelet counts and makes bruising more likely.
3. No fish oil supplements/fatty fish for 10 days prior to treatment. Fish oil and fatty fish like salmon and tuna have the same effect upon your blood as NSAIDs and wine—the more you consume, the more likely it is that you’ll bruise. Best that you avoid them altogether in the days leading up to your procedure!
4. Apply a cold pack to the treatment area, we recommend applying that to your face (in the area we are going to treat) for 5-15 minutes before we treat you. I know it can be uncomfortable to apply something so cold directly to your face, but it’s worth it for no bruising!
5. Try not to move during the procedure even the slightest flinch can make bruising worse. If you could manage to fall into a light sleep you will be relaxed enough to avoid extra bruising.
Here’s the truth of the matter: ask any nurse and they will tell you that any time you stick a needle in someone’s skin, you can get a bruise. But remember what you have always heard beauty is pain and I will add to that saying by saying a little bruising for a few days is well worth the pay off you end up with!